Postdoctoral Researcher position to work on "Yeast Improvement for Microbial oils production from short chain fatty acids”
IMDEA Energy Institute is a María de Maeztu Center of Excellence whose objective is to develop R&D activities in the fields of renewable energies and clean energy technologies by establishing strong links with leading companies in the energy sector. (www.energy.imdea.org).
IMDEA Energy is opening a Postdoctoral Researcher Position for the Biotechnological Processes Unit to work on Yeast Improvement for Microbial Oils production from Short-chain Fatty Acids (SCFAs).
This position is open in the frame of OLEOFERM Project (EraCoBiotech) devoted to the Sustainable oleochemicals bioproduction from carboxylates via oleaginous fermentation. In OLEOFERM, SCFAs will be used as an alternative and innovative carbon source during the culture of yeast for microbial lipid production. The use of SCFAs as carbon source for yeasts cultivation remains to be elucidated since it is not clear the metabolic pathway by which they are consumed and metabolized. Thus, the use of biotechnology and molecular biology tools is crucial to obtain new yeast strains able to optimally ferment alternative carbon sources such as SCFAs.
We are seeking a highly motivated candidate, capable of driving his/her own research project independently while actively collaborating with other members of the lab.
- Fermentation tasks at different scales.
- Yeast genetic engineering (mainly of non-Saccharomyces strains) to improve the yeast fermentation capacity and microbial oil production from SCFAs.
- To generate research outputs and contribute to the development of independent and original ideas.
- Communicate and disseminate research results through high-quality scientific channels including high impact scientific publications, presentation in congresses, etc.
- Writing of project proposals to national and international calls related to the topic.
- Supervision of PhD, Master or undergraduate students.
- PhD degree in Biology, Yeast Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Biochemistry or a related discipline.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
Merits to value:
- Accredited experience on fermentation technology and molecular biology of yeast
- Knowledge on molecular biology techniques for non-conventional yeast
- Experience in yeast fermentation of alternative carbon sources
- Strong publication record.
- Adequacy of the candidate's training and experience to the requested profile.
- Quality and impact of scientific publications.
- Experience in national and international research projects.
- Knowledge of English.
- Motivation for accomplishing high-quality research.
Remuneration: Between 36.000€ – 39.000€ per year, depending upon qualification and expertise.
*The contract includes all the benefits of the Spanish Public Health and Social Security System.
Duration of the contract: One-year renewable appointment depending on performance.
IMDEA Energía: Mostoles, Madrid.
- PhD Certificate
- Reference Letter
- Motivation Letter
Final decisions will be personally communicated by e-mail to all candidates.
Equal opportunities are guaranteed in the selection process, without any forms of discrimination.
Our commitment is to guarantee equality in measures to balance personal, family and working life and to promote gender equality.